Welcome to Logs for the Fire

This Month's Articles:

Thursday, September 25, 2008

John Schuch: Fellowship with the Holy Spirit


In Genesis 1:1 it says the Holy Spirit was hovering over the waters. Before God spoke the world into existence the Holy Spirit was active. This has always been God’s pattern the Holy Spirit and then the Word. This is confirmed in II Peter 1:21 “men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.” All that God would do on earth has always been by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit has always been God’s breathe on and in His people. No breath no life -- No Holy Spirit no life from God.

Jesus life and ministry was by the power of the Holy Spirit. The prophecy that spoke of His coming was by the Holy Spirit. His birth was by the Holy Spirit. His public ministry began with the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Jesus even testified, “if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the Kingdom of God has come upon you.” Even his disciples spoke about the Holy Spirit being active in His life. Acts 10:38 “how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power and how He went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with Him.” If the Holy Spirit was active in Jesus life then how can we live His life without the Holy Spirit?

No believer would ever deny the life and ministry of the Holy Spirit. Yet many believers never interact with the Holy Spirit. At times they may hear teaching on the Holy Spirit but in their daily lives the Holy Spirit is never acknowledged. Now the Holy Spirit is not an it but a person and if a person then we can commune with Him. Twice in scripture it mentions the fellowship of the Holy Spirit. II Cor. 13:14 & Phil. 2:1 This word fellowship is used in I John 1: speaking of fellowship with the Father, the Son and with other believers. The Word fellowship means to interact with another. We encourage believers to commune with the Father and the Son but when it comes to the Holy Spirit there is little experience of ones speaking and listening to the Holy Spirit.

The question may be asked is how does a believer interact or fellowship with the Holy Spirit. I would like to share with you two of the ways we can fellowship with the Holy Spirit. First is to acknowledge what the Holy Spirit does in our lives. I know I am to be led and guided by the Holy Spirit. So I then speak with Him, “Holy Spirit you are leading me today, I can trust you to guide me in all that I do. I have certain calls I want to make but you may shut some doors and open some that I do not envision.” Or “Holy Spirit I know you are leading me today and I want to be sensitive to what you have for me, thank you that I can trust you.” We know that the Holy Spirit is the only one who imparts God’s Revelation to us. Then acknowledge His ministry as you speak with Him. “Holy Spirit thank you that my mind is limited in receiving revelation but that you are imparting it to me and making it known to me.” Have you been in situations where you felt weak and inadequate? “Holy Spirit I didn’t seem to have the Words to say but it is not by my might or power but by your power. Praise you that you work even in my weakness.” We acknowledge Jesus being anointed by the Holy Spirit but what about your life. “Holy Spirit you anointed Jesus and thank you that you have anointed me. I will live and minister in your anointing today.”

Now in our communion with Him it is not just asking Him but acknowledging and giving Him praise and thanks. As we do this then it opens the door for us to fellowship with Him. Does it bring pleasure to our Father when we plead with Him hoping to receive or when we acknowledge and give Him thanks for what He has provided for us. It brings pleasure to our Father when we agree with His ministry in our lives. As you acknowledge the Holy Spirit’s work in your life so many areas of His ministry will become alive in you. It is then that fellowship with Him becomes a normal experience.

Another powerful way to commune with the Holy Spirit is by praying in tongues. I believe a key to praying in tongues is found in Romans 8:15-17, in v16 it says, “The Spirit Himself (Holy Spirit) testifies with our spirit (human spirit) that we are God’s children.” This passage speaks of the Holy Spirit interacting with our spirit or heart. It does not say the Holy Spirit is testifying to our mind but spirit. This is important for God works by His Holy Spirit through our spirit. In salvation our spirit is made alive to God. Eph.2:5 & Col 2:13 Our spirit is made alive or born of God 100%. Now our minds need to be renewed and our bodies brought under submission to the will of God but our spirit man is totally made alive to God.

This is why the Holy Spirit testifies to our spirit and not our minds that we are Sons of God. Now our minds will be renewed with the glorious truth that we are Sons of God; but God works in our spirit first. What a powerful force when God’s Holy Spirit is interacting with my spirit. Man’s spirit knows all about man and God’s Spirit knows all about God. Now bring them together and there is nothing that can be greater in our lives.

Now this will help to explain praying in tongues. I Cor. 14:14-15 “If I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful.” When you pray in a tongue God’s Holy Spirit is praying with your spirit and not your mind. Paul then says, “What shall I do.” He then answers his question by saying, “I will pray with my spirit and I will pray with my mind. I will praise with my spirit and I will praise with my mind.” Now to pray or praise with your mind means to speak it in your known language. Your mind knows what is being said but when you pray in tongues your mind is not active but your spirit is very active with the Holy Spirit. This is why praying in tongues is so powerful because the Holy Spirit is praying directly with your spirit. Yes, we are to pray with our minds but Paul testifies to the fact he also prays and praises with his human spirit.

Paul knew the powerful force of the Holy Spirit interacting with his spirit. That is why in v18 “I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you but in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others then ten thousand words in a tongue.” Now Paul makes a distinction between his personal life and his public life. He is saying in my personal life I pray in tongues more than all of you but not in public. Paul knew the value and power of his spirit being in communion with the Holy Spirit.

I believe God wants all of His people to pray this way. It is fellowshipping with the Holy Spirit. It is God’s Holy Spirit ministering to our spirits. People can have bible knowledge in their minds but it may not be the breath of God on their life. I encourage all believers to see the value of their spirit ministering with the Holy Spirit.
Scripture tells us the benefits of our spirit praying with the Holy Spirit.
I Cor. 14:2-5
1. “Anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God.” Now don’t we encourage people to speak to God, to pray? When I pray in tongues I am speaking to God.
2. “No one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.” Now your spirit is speaking of mysteries and it is God’s mysteries. God’s mysteries are His revelation of His purposes and all that He desires to do in our lives. As I pray in tongues I often receive revelation that helps me in my life.
3. “He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself.” This is God’s Word that your spirit praying with the Holy Spirit will build you up. That is why everyone ought to pray in tongues privately it will build them up.

I was taught against tongues so I have been on both sides of the fence. I know the glory and power in praying in tongues. I remember 3 years ago I was in a house group in Dundee, Scotland. The meeting had finished and we were having a cup of tea. A few of us were talking about praying in tongues and the Lord spoke clearly to my spirit and said, “Son I want you to spend quality time praying in tongues when you get up during the night.” I had been praying in tongues but not consistent and the Lord was telling me to do it consistently each night. I then came back home and I met with Brother Thurlow. He was telling me about the pastors & wives conference and that he spoke on why we should pray in tongues. That was a confirmation and encouragement of what God was saying to me.

Now our walk and fellowship with the Holy Spirit is not mechanical or just doing certain things. It is talking with Him, acknowledging His ministry and listening to Him. The glorious Holy Spirit is God’s breath of life upon our lives and this life is a living, talking, listening person. Holy Sprit teach me to commune with you.

No comments: