Welcome to Logs for the Fire

This Month's Articles:

Monday, March 15, 2010

Alanna Jennings: Spiritual Gardening - Part 6 "The White Pathway"

Spiritual Gardening – Part 5
“The White Pathway”
Alanna Jennings


One night in November, I was too busy to notice that there was another “White Night” painting the earth with its glow (see Part three of “Spiritual Gardening” for more on a “White Night”). It wasn’t until I started to climb into bed that I noticed the white slivers of moonlight seeping through the slats of the drawn blinds. Being unable to resist taking a chilly, autumn walk through my garden by moonlight I crept outside, knowing all the while that the last of the flowers were gone, and that I would find nothing but leaves awaiting me.

To my surprise, I found much more than dead leaves and the stalks of dead flowers. There, bisecting my garden, as usual, was the white, marble walkway that goes unnoticed all summer long, as my attention is on the flowers, and those marble stones are merely something to walk on.

Once again, I was struck by the awesome thoroughness of the Master Gardener, who ensures that there is beauty and glory and provision in His “Planting” all year long. How comforting it was to see that my natural and spiritual gardens have a clearly delineated path for me to follow in all the seasons of my life.

How encouraging it is to know that when all around me seems to be swallowed up in death; when my plans and dreams fail to bloom; when something I have poured years of effort into is past it’s time of fruitfulness and it’s time to let it die a graceful death; or in the “dark night of the soul”; the Light of the World is still there, illuminating the pathway before me. It may not be an easy pathway, in fact, I can guarantee you that it will not be. If the way before you is a wide one, choose another path as quickly as you can, for we are told to:

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” Matt 7:13-14

And, by the way, not just any narrow way will do. Make sure that you are on the way appointed for you, and not on someone else’s path. Robert Frost so beautifully portrays for us “two roads diverged in a yellow wood”, and reminds us of our inability to travel but one. I would propose to you that we are tempted by the world in which we live, with more paths to choose from than perhaps any other generation in history.

And so, how to choose? The Prophet Jeremiah relayed the word of the Lord to the people of God in Jeremiah 6:16, “Thus says the Lord: Stand in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, where the good way is, and walk in it; then you will find rest for your souls”. True peace will never be found on any other pathway than the path of obedience. I suggest you find out what God wants you to do, and then do it. You will never know true and lasting peace until you do. And, by the way, the ‘Pathway of Obedience” is a daily journey, that can only be taken by making daily, Godly choices, and walking out each days assignments. Tomorrow’s assigned pathway is often not revealed until you have completed today’s journey.

Though the pathway set before us is rarely easy, the choice is pathway is rarely difficult. It basically comes down to two choices:

“See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil, in that I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments, His statutes, and His judgments, that you may live and multiply; and the LORD your God will bless you in the land which you go to possess. But if your heart turns away so that you do not hear, and are drawn away, and worship other gods and serve them, I announce to you today that you shall surely perish; you shall not prolong your days in the land which you cross over the Jordan to go in and possess. I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; that you may love the LORD your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days; and that you may dwell in the land which the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them." Deut 30:15-20

I beseech you to choose life dear friends. The pathway of obedience set before you today may be one of mountains and valleys; you may even encounter a few lions and tigers and bears – OH MY! However difficult the way, rest assured that you will overcome (it is your destiny), as long as you are in His yoke, and not one of your own making.

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matt 11:28-30

No comments: