Welcome to Logs for the Fire

This Month's Articles:

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Thurlow Switzer: Trusting in the Time of Trial


Trusting in the Time of Trial
Apostle Thurlow J. Switzer

Are we able to trust God in times of great trial? If so, on what basis, and what dynamics occur in the midst of such trials?    

2 Cor 1:3-5 – “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ.” NKJV

Recently, our congregation has experienced some setbacks in the lives of precious believers, for instance for one sister, an operation that should have gone normal, turned into a tragedy due to medical errors, including the need for an arm to be amputated. At such times as this, as well in situations where setbacks occur due to occupational politics or traumatic crisis, one may well begin to doubt God’s ability to intervene or to control the course of events.

On one hand, we know that the rain falls on both the righteous and the unrighteous, and, on the other hand, that all things work together for good to them who are called according to the purpose of God. Yet, we ask questions, deep questions. Trials, trouble, and negative circumstances provide occasion for faith to be tested and deepened.

My attention was drawn to what David’s musicians spoke and wrote about in Psalms 42-44. 

First, why do adverse trials occur to godly people? In Psalm 42:1-4, we see the context introduced. The author is described as one pursuing God, panting after and thirsting for the living God. This person has often entered without reservation into the celebration of praise to God; yet when difficult times come, why is it people will bluntly say, “Where is your God?”

Ps 42:1-4 - “As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. 2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God? 3 My tears have been my food day and night, while they continually say to me, "Where is your God?" 4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul within me. For I used to go with the multitude; I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.” NKJV

Immediately, the Psalmist begins to speak to his soul and pour out his heart before God. This is the right response for one going through deep trouble, especially when one does not quite understand what is going on. In the course of Psalms 42 and 43, the Psalmist asks of himself three times the question, “Why are you cast down, O my soul?” The first time is in verse 5, the second in verse 11, and the third in verse 5 of chapter 43. Each restatement is accompanied by significant words important to overcoming distress and difficulties, which are indeed keys to overcoming victory in difficult situations.

INSTANCE NUMBER ONE: Psalm 42:5 – “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance.”
In the context, the Psalmist, even as he despairs, immediately prays to God, “O my God, my soul is cast down within me; therefore I will remember You” (v.6). Note the progress, he first spoke to his own soul, he then exhorted his soul to hope in God, and then proceeded to pray to God.

He goes on to assert, “Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; all Your waves and billows have gone over me” (v.7). It is often only in the midst of deep troubles and struggle that God’s deepness calls forth the deepness in our soul, and it often sounds like the “noise” of God’s waterfall, when His “waves and billows have gone over me.”

No matter how serious the situations, one must interpret them as only experiences that are our opportunities to experience God’s presence as greater than our circumstance. The result, “The Lord will command His loving kindness in the daytime, and in the night His song shall be with me — a prayer to the God of my life” (v. 8). God will be with us in the daytime and in the night.

INSTANCE NUMBER 2: Psalm 42:11 – “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God.”  The formula for victory is once again repeated in verse 11. In the context, the Psalmist again prays, “I will say to God my Rock, "Why have You forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?" (v. 9). He pours out his heart to God. Pointedly, he asks God why He has forsaken him. He speaks about real issues such as oppression by enemy forces that are causing him to mourn. This reminds me of Matthew 5:4 where Jesus said, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” It is possible that just about the time we begin to feel self-sufficient and quite confident in our own abilities, we discover our soul-powers are depleted and one’s soul is cast down.

Often circumstances are driven by outside forces, literal physical enemies, sickness, broken circumstances, or by the taunting of others. People love to put people down. The psalmist declares, “As with a breaking of my bones, my enemies reproach me, while they say to me all day long, "Where is your God (v. 10)? Once again, adversaries say, ‘Where is your God?” At times, we might say, “God, where are you?” It is at such a time, we should declare, “Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him.” Such a response will certainly help our countenance. 

INSTANCE NUMBER 3: Psalm 43:5 – “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God.”  Moving into chapter 43 we find this key to victory repeated once again. In the context, the psalmist is pleading for God to vindicate him. “Vindicate me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation; oh, deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man! . . . Why do You cast me off? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?” Once again, he is pouring out his soul to God. This is a necessary dimension of soul all of us need to learn.

In the midst of this he declares, “You are the God of my strength” (v. 2a). However, he has insight into the inner need of true victory, “Oh, send out Your light and Your truth! Let them lead me; let them bring me to Your holy hill and to Your tabernacle” (v.3). We need God’s light for the pathway and truth in the inward parts.

It is in this condition of renewed heart that the psalmist finds release. “Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy; and on the harp I will praise You, O God, my God” (v. 4).

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO HELP ONE’S SOUL RISE UP?
We find some help in Psalm chapter forty-four. The psalmist declares that in spite of the fact that things have come upon him, he has not dealt falsely with God’s covenant.    

Ps 44:17-18 – “All this has come upon us; but we have not forgotten You, nor have we dealt falsely with Your covenant. 18 Our heart has not turned back, nor have our steps departed from Your way.
The Psalmist is confident of his trust and reliance upon God and, although he is experiencing brokenness and is covered with the shadow of death, he has not forgotten God and is willing to follow God to the place of the cross.

Ps 44:20-22 – “20 If we had forgotten the name of our God, or stretched out our hands to a foreign god, 21 would not God search this out? For He knows the secrets of the heart. 22 Yet for Your sake we are killed all day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

The Psalm concludes with two striking thoughts, both important to building up one’s soul in the midst of great trial and circumstantial difficulties. The first device is the need to AWAKE and the second to ARISE!
Ps 44:23 – “Awake! Why do You sleep, O Lord? Arise! Do not cast us off forever.
Ps 44:26 – “Arise for our help, and redeem us for Your mercies' sake.

What this means to me is quite simple. When we search out our hearts before God in a time of distress and pray to Him, he awakens our soul, even as we are pleading for God to awake. Something is caused to arise in our being, even as we pray to God to arise and not cast us off forever. Such a believer has come to trust God and to know His mercy, and is not too proud to pray, “Arise for our help, and redeem us for Your mercies’ sake.

Those who are walking with us through the circumstances we are facing are finding great solace and strength as we pursue God even if we do not understand all that is occurring. Our souls are awaking and arising as we wait patiently upon the Lord. Amen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Precious and dynamic on many levels providing hope for the hopeless and building faith in the faithful.